Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Monday, December 17, 2007

It is SO nice to meet you...

Hello everyone! My name is Mary and I'm very excited about starting this blog... and I hope you are excited to read it. Like the title says I am an English major at Regent and I am extremely happy to announce that I just finished my first semester! It felt so good turning in that very last paper. I feel like I can truly start to enjoy the Christmas season now. :)

I go to school online and in August it was a huge adjustment for me. I have been used to the "traditional" classroom, but now that I have gotten the hang of going to school online I'm liking it more and more all the time. It is especially works out great for me since I work full-time.

Well what else can I say? I live in Kansas City, Missouri and I have a wonderful cat named Miss Kitty (I'm sure her picture will be posted at some point, don't worry). I have great parents and three older brothers (don't know about putting their pictures up... unless they're embarrassing ones). :)

God is truly doing amazing things in my life and I can't wait to share them with you! Since starting school at Regent it seems like I am being pulled and stretched intellectually and spiritually. This has been an amazing and trying process, but I know it will be oh-so worth it in the end.

I think that is all for today. But don't you worry, I'll be back before you know it. :)

2 comments:

DawnHolmes said...

Hi Mary,

I saw you were an English major and I wanted to ask you a few questions about Regent online.

Some background about me is I am a stay at home mom of three. I home school my children. I dropped out of college half way through to have my oldest daughter. I was a Psych major with some education courses too but I don't think I'd have the time for all the research papers and stuff because of home schooling all day and my two youngest are under two, so its tough to say the least.

I wanted to ask your honest opinion on being an English major. How is the workload? Lots of papers, tests, reading? You can be as descriptive as you want, I want your honest opinion. Thank you so much for your time. God bless you.

Shalom,
Dawn Holmes
DawnMarieHolmes@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn!

I haven't checked this blog in a while, sorry I didn't see your comment sooner! The workload can be rough at times, but it really depends on how many classes you want to take. I am a full time online student, which means I am taking 2 classes at a time every eight weeks. This is usually 12 credit hours a semester, however this semester I have taken a little more. It is definitely a struggle at times, especially since I also work full time.

The papers I have written really aren't too bad, but I may be a little bias since I LOVE writing them. :) In my first couple of English courses I had to write about a paper a week (they were usually under 1,000 words though). However this last semester I only had to write four total papers for both my classes combined, but they were a little longer. The reading is different for every class. In Biology I read about 3 chapters a week, and in British Literature I read works from about 5 to 6 different authors. It usually took me a few hours to get all my biology reading done, but my literature class was done in about an hour or a little more. Tests are kind of the same, most are multiple choice or essay and they give you plenty of time to complete them. It's usually about one a week for each class, but again that just depends on what kind of class it is.

I do not regret the time I spend getting my degree, but it is certainly something you definitely have to be motivated for. I know this is what God wants me to do, so I just encourage you to really seek Him about this. Regent is a GREAT place to provide a Christian education so rest assured that if you choose this school, it will be an amazing experience! I hope that helps a little bit! If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :) Take care!

The publisher/owner of this website, Mary Rudder, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.